The Mall, A Late Georgian Terrace


This is a terrace of four, three storey over basement, rendered, two-bay houses, with inset doorcases and fanlights. A gateway leading off Castle Street makes the terrace private. The Mall, prior to development in the nineteenth century was known as "The Rocks" due to the nature of the terrain. It is thought that the old main Dublin Road passed through part of the Mall, a route now occupied by the concerns of the houses and shops of the Square.
In the 1820s the 2nd Earl of Glengall leased the land to Dr. Thomas Beale M.D. (after whom the Doctor's River is named) for the purpose of building a hotel and terrace of townhouses. Three houses were erected by 1830. The first two houses were opened by a Mr. Buckley, as the Cahir Castle Hotel. A fourth house was completed by 1835 as a residence for the Doctor and his family.
 The harsh 1840s, with the Great Famine and the bankruptcy of Lord Glengall, halted the building of the terraced Georgian townhouses. The Mall Terrace remains unfinished.
In the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries the houses were occupied by gentry, professional and military families. In the 1860s, Nos. 1 and 2 (formerly Cahir Castle Hotel) were used as the Convent of Mercy, and so remained until the present convent was completed in 1878. Major William Hutchinson, Land Agent for the Cahir Estate, lived in the last house in the l870's. In 1893, the Earl of Airlie, while stationed at Cahir Barracks with the 10th Hussars, lived there with his new bride, Mabel (who later became Lady-in-Waiting to Queen Mary). It was here their son and heir was born, while a lone piper played outside, and coins were strewn among the poor. Over half-a-century later, in 1953, as a senior member of the Royal Household, this native of Cahir led the Coronation Procession of Queen Elizabeth II at Westminster Abbey. Subsequent generations of this family still hold senior posts at Court. The Mall was used in 1921, during the War of Independence, when the Black and Tans rounded up all of the townspeople and confined them to the Mall after three British soldiers had been shot at Woodrooffe, four miles from the town. 

























www.000webhost.com