The Market House


This neat and commodious building occupies a conspicuous site on the Square, and is known variously as "The Courthouse", "The Library", and '”The Town Hall". In fact, it was originally erected in circa 1780 as the Market House of Cahir, and complemented Lord Cahir’s new mansion, Cahir House, at the opposite end of the Square. From the sixteenth century, Cahir had been renowned for its markets and fairs, and they inspired the erection of this building. However, the building always had many other functions, as a Town Hall, Courthouse and place of entertainment. From 1802, the Manorial Courts and Petty Sessions were held here. The Seneschal (Local Magistrate) presided, and debts to the value of 10 could be recovered.
From early in its existence, the Market House was the scene of Balls, Concerts and Public Meetings. It became known as the Assembly Rooms, as a result of this type of usage. From the later nineteenth century, having lost its courthouse status, the emphasis was exclusively on these activities, and this remained the case into the 1930s. In the period from 1937 to 1983, the building saw use as a hardware store and later a motorcar showroom. During this period, the ground floor facade was irreparably damaged, in the creation of a large showroom window. Following a complete renovation, it was reopened in 1985 as Cahir District Courthouse and Town Library. In the 1999 Development for the town, a central aim of the County Council is to restore the ground floor facade and roof top cupola to their original appearance, which is to be welcomed. 

























www.000webhost.com