The Square

In 1840, Lord Glengall commissioned William Tinsley to redesign the central area of the town. The leases given in the 1780s by his Roman Catholic ancestor, James Butler, were running out, Lord Glengall made the improvement of property central to the reissuing of leases. The result is the commercial and residential buildings of Cahir, particularly of the Square, are of a standard far higher than Irish Provincial Towns of larger size. Most properties have ornate frames over windows and doors, and the entire streetscape facade of the Square and much of the entry streets are listed. This high standard was noted as early as 1888 in the book County Tipperary: A Guide and Directory by G. H Bassett, in saying "The houses of Cahir devoted to business as well as residential purposes, are superior to those found in most country towns in lreland".